Since 2000, Enerkem attempts to achieve the production of second-generation ethanol, renewing biofuels and chemicals from waste, at the industrial scale. Their technology has already been proven at the pilot scale and Enerkem is continuously trying to reach an increase in the magnitude increase of their production rates.
Genesys was mandated to assist Enerkem in conducting a feasibility study to evaluate the possibility of adaptation of Enerkem technology for its successful implementation at the industrial scale, and to review and confirm that the proposed synthesis route for cellulosic-ethanol is technically sound.
- Year of realization : 2010 – 2011
- Project value : 85 Million USD
- Conducting an extensive literature review
- Selecting optimal property models for use with simulation tools
- Proposing a different chemical intermediate for process simplification
- Finalizing the process sequence and flowsheeting
- Identifying key outstanding issues and development areas
- Feasibility Study