Petro-Canada is the leader in the production of the purest base oils in the world.In 2006, Petro-Canada, based in Montreal-East, targeted a reduction in the amount of butane (C4) in the gasoline pool. Genesys established with a thorough performance assessment that this would be addressed via the debottlenecking of the saturated gas recovery unit (GASCON).
The work involved the conversion of a deisopentanizer distillation column and its auxiliary systems into a gasoline debutanizer tower. This required that a portion of the tower’s upper section be removed and replaced – on site – with a taller section reclaimed from abandoned equipment at a remote refinery.
Genesys’ mandate consisted in establishing the new process conditions, designing the auxiliary equipment and piping and updating the control strategy for this unit.
- Year of realization : 2006 – 2007
- Project value : 12 Million USD
- Process study of the existing unit and simulation of planned modifications
- Project cost estimation and scheduling
- Provide detailed calculations, specifications and procedures
- Project management
- Re-qualification calculations for pressure vessels
- Stress analysis of the updated piping network
- Technical support for the construction phase
- Coordination & supervision of equipment erection
- Start-up assistance